Sunday, 26 May 2013

Dixie Stripes....we have a dress!

So after all my research and finding this amazing pattern I got stuck into giving knit a go....


I changed the settings on my sewing machine to cope with this new fabric...presser foot pressure, zig zag stitch....erm why is this not working??? Ah the needle. It's amazing how it just doesn't work to use a normal needle, something about the ball point pushing the thread out of the way rather than poking through them? I don't really understand it but stretch needles work :)
See those annoying stitched where it wasn't picking up the bobbin thread on one side...


Anyways, once that was rectified the stitching was easy peasy. I stabilised the shoulders with a bit of bias binding...


The whole process was pretty much stress free, I was quite surprised (and delighted) by this.


About an hour later I had a gorgeous stripey dress!


I LOVE this!!

I shortened the sleeves from the pattern, and really like this length. After reading a few other blogs about htis pattern I also lengthened the bodice by 2 inches and the skirt length by about the same. I *tried* to match up the stripes.....nearly.....


My favourite part to sew was the neckline, it looks like a real life tshirt neckline!....


Safe to say I am a knit convert, it's really not that scary after all. I'll be sewing a up a few more of this pattern too....thank you Dixie!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment