Tuesday, 4 June 2013

Simplicity 2444: The Ooh La La dress...

I had this dress in part of my planned MMMay13 makes, and I did finish it in May, I just thought I'd wait until I'd actually been to Paris before I wrote it up....aaahhh the memories

We went for a quick weekend trip to clebrate our 10 year anniversary and it was rather lovely. So I'm really glad I now have this dress as a reminder. Anyways enough of the lovely dovey...
There are loads of Paris dresses in sewing blog land and I came across this pale pink version of the Michael Miller fabric in a little shop in Brighton. I love the weightyness of the fabric and thought this colour would be perfect wedding dress material (as in wedding guest!)
I used Simplicity 2444 but when I got to cutting the skirt I realised there wasnt enough width in the fabric. As the pattern of the eiffel towers all need to go in the same direction I couldnt fit the outer corners of the skirt onto the fabric even if I cheted with the fold....eeeek!!
Luckily I have been a fan of Roisin's blog for a while now and I took inspiration from many of her gorgeous dresses having a gathered skirt instead so i went about my diy ways and added my own gathered skirt instead of the one in the pattern. I can't really compare, as I havent made the pattern version yet, but I love this gathered skirt, I also added pockets....all dresses should have pockets!
Overall this was a really easy and quick make. I LOVE the bodice on this pattern. After struggling with the bodice darts on the Peony these were a dream; I'll be using this pattern again. I didn't take any pics of the inside yet but I also managed to french seam it all.

I'm going to be wearing this on Saturday to my lovely friends wedding. I've added the black ribbon belt to take the sheen off the whole "pinkness".

My big decision now is to underskirt or not. It doesnt look too different in this pic but it feels like I'm wearing a cupcake. I've always wanted a dress with a big frilly underskirt but now I've got one I'm getting all shy about wearing it.

To frill or not to frill??


5 comments:

  1. Always frill. To a wedding? You'd be mad not to. Needless to say, I love this. The bodice of 2444 is basically my block. I've just made this same dress out of the green MM Eiffel Tower fabric - will post about it soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would be rude not to frill!
      Such a good fit on this bodice and so simple...it's nice not to have to faff around with the darts. Ooh green sounds nice....you must be reaching the maximum combinations of this dress now?!

      Delete
  2. That's a great dress, love the fabric and fits you so well. I'm going to try and make this dress very soon (as soon as it starts raining again). I've had a few fitting issues with the bodice but I think I have it worked out. Going to do a gathered skirt like you and I'm going to put pockets in it now that I've seen yours. I've made the original dress before and am not sold on the pleats, but it could have been the fabric - a wool crepe and I think it may be a bit heavy for the volume.
    Enjoy your new dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maeve, I've found this to be the easiest bodice to make up and it has the best fit, those darts are just in the right place for me. Definitely go for the pockets, lip gloss, hair clips, lollipops....they're so useful!

      Delete
  3. I'm in the middle of this pattern too. Yours is lovely! Frills frills frills

    ReplyDelete