Monday, 24 February 2014

Dress for the crazy cat lady....

If you follow me on twitter you would have already seen me get hold of some amazeballs cat fabric (thats actually upholstery fabric) and decide to throw caution to the wind and just go ahead and make a dress out of it, so here it is in all it's glory....

I picked this fabric up out of a freebie box at work and thats a good job, check out that price tag!....


I had about 2 meters of the stuff too. This did make me pause for a bit to make sure I was making the most of it, but then I thought hey I would NEVER buy this and seeing as I didnt part hard earned cash for it I took a gamble on the dress.

The fabric is pretty sturdy but not overly thick and its only velvety where the cats are, the black part was more like a thick cotton drill.

I chose to make another Deer and Doe Belladone for the dress pattern as the skirt is nice and simple and the bodice doesnt have too many darts going on. I adjusted the back bodice so it was just two parts rather than the usual 4 with a gap.

I didnt have enough fabric to pattern match...no love lost.


Look how cute those kitties are!!

Overall I'm really pleased with how this dress turned out, I suppose I have a £200 dress now?!
and seeing as I have a duvet dress and now an armchair/curtain type dress I think it's safe to say experimenting with any fabrics is a good idea :)
Have you made any pieces with non fashion fabrics?



8 comments:

  1. Meeeeow!! This turned out great :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great effort doll and what a winning use of super expensivo fabric. It's turned out smashing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cutest. Dress. EVER! I LOVE it! Those cats don't NEED to pattern match they are so perfect on their own! Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is so awesome! Belladone seems to be the perfect choice for the fabric. Love it x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen, it's creeping up my chart of favourite patterns at the mo :) x

      Delete