Monday, 17 March 2014

A year of stitching.......


How funny that when I started to have a nose through all of my clothing makes on my blog this morning, you know doing a bit of blog admin, that I realised it’s exactly a year ago that I bought my first proper dress pattern and dipped my toe into the world of dress making.

I remember thinking how this was such a daunting thing and how I was sure I couldn’t possibly do it as I didn’t know the right stitches (like I thought there were ‘special dress making stitches’), didn’t understand the terminology (stitch in the ditch anyone?), and had no clue about fabric. It took me 4 blog posts to get through one pattern! But I think in a way it really helped me at that time, make sense of what I was doing, bit by bit, at a nice slow pace.

A year later and it doesn’t take me quite that long any more, I’ve realised theres no mystical stitches that no one told me about and with the help of many of my favourite stitchers blogs I’ve got my head around a lot of the lingo and everyones amazing tips, tricks and tutorials have helped me out of tricky situations such as invisible zips, linings and learning all sorts about using different fabrics.


This little blogging world has been a really nice place to be. I only really use my blog as a record for me really and looking back over the past year I can see that I’ve come quite a long way and gathered quite a nice few items for my wardrobe too.


The blogs of others stitchers I’ve come across along the way fill almost every day with new inspiration and learning. I now absolutely love making my own clothes and it’s completely taken me away from being a throwaway shopper. Now I don’t dream of where I’m going shopping for dresses and skirts and tops come pay day, it’s what fabric I’m going to buy to make exactly the clothes I’m after.


This year started off with some resewlutions. After nearly a year of sewing I felt like I’d got the basics down and now I really want to get on with perfecting my makes and putting a whole lot more effort into how I finish my garments, make them last, and give them a much less ‘homemade’ feel. I also wanted to stop getting so over excited by new patterns and get using the ones I have a bit more (this is so difficult-can everyone stop brining out new gorgeous patterns please!) I might obviously have to not stick to this one alllll year but I’ve been good so far and have been using the patterns I do have more than once and even going in with little alterations to make them my own.

It’s such a good feeling to see yourself getting better at something after every make and feel really proud with what you’re creating. I suppose that’s what comes when you really love what you’re doing? And that’s a good job as in a couple of weeks I’ll be knuckling down to make my own wedding dress….cripes! what am I thinking?! Well, I’m thinking I’d feel a bit gutted if I didn’t at least give it a go. I’m months off the day so I’ve got loads of time to go buy an emergency bin bag but I’m not thinking like that-it’ll be fine! It’ll be great! It’ll be bloody hard work and I’m terrified of ruining the most expensive fabric I’ll ever buy in my life but hey, I’m sure I can find a tutorial for that J

                                                                                                                                                           

4 comments:

  1. Ah happy anniversary darling :) all your makes are lovely and you're right slow and steady wins the race. Wedding dress making so exciting. I know you'll knock it out the park my sweet. I too will be making my first wedding dress this year not for me but for someone very lovely. I am also both excited and pooping myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thank you lovely!
      There is definitely a fine line between the excitement and the terror of the w dress, I'm investing in a bottle of rescue remedy, shaky hands and silk do not mix! Will you put the one you're making on your blog? Would love to see it, good luck! xx

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on a year of happy sewing adventures!
    I'm sure your wedding dress will turn out beautifully :-)

    ReplyDelete