Thursday, 26 June 2014

Finger knitting.......

Yes, FINGER knitting.
I'd not heard of it being an actual real thing before but it is! and I know this because I gave it a go and it works and everything, look!....
PROOF!
So I've been admiring a lot of plaited, crochet and knit necklaces out in fashion land at the mo. All lovely fabrics and colours and I thought I'd surely be able to coble one together myself so I got onto Pinterest and found this...

It's got a really good link to a youtube video which is much easier to see how to do the knitting rather than looking at images.
But this is what I did.....you start out with your choice of yarn. I wanted to use jersey so I cut up an old top (what a way to refashion)

and then, cynically,  Istarted "knitting"....

lo and behold it was actaully doing something! It ended up looking like this..

Give it a bit of a pull either end to tighten up the braiding and add some extra yarn each end for ties and I ended up with a proper necklace...

I didn't bother with the metal parts for each end becasue I didn't have any I don't think it needs them.
I'm really pleased with it, it's just the sort of thing I was considering paying quite a few quid for but I managed this out of a top I didn't want any more and 20 mins of time. So now I'm hunting through the wardrobe so I can make other colours....

Have you tried finger knitting?


2 comments:

  1. I haven't tried it yet but it's one of those things which is on my list of things to do if I ever have any spare time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This honestly took 25 mins from start to finish, if you already had the yarn then the necklace would probably be about 10-15 mins, go squeeze it in :)

      Delete