Tuesday, 17 June 2014

Tillys Lilou....


I made this dress up a while ago now, a few days after getting my Love At First Stitch book through in the post, but I've had some troublesome fit issues to fix so havent quite got around to bloggin it until now, but anyways....
This is my lovely swimming ladies Lilou dress!....


This was part of my stash from Goldhawk Road (yep still using it all up) and a massive bargain at £1.99pm!


I knew I wanted to make up this pattern first after seeing the sneak peeks in Tilly's book and Marie's gorgeous green version.
I added a couple of self challenges to this make, having to make sure my pattern matching was up to scratch with these lovely ladies and adding some cute polka dot piping around the arm and neck holes. The most I've ever done with piping was around the waist of my first Belladone so I wanted to have a go at getting round corners and adding a bit of interest to a standard neckline.

I read up on a few tutorials and with plenty a pin at hand got on with it...

Not bad for a first attempt?
I sandwiched it in between the dress fabric and the lining so I started by sewing it to the dress farbic and then sewing the lining on top so I could see what I was doing, then understitched the lining. I was a bit worried it wouldnt sit well and ot a bit confused thinking of the curve once it gets turned inside but in the end I just went with it and its all good :)
The arms were a little trickier and I didn't bother with the placement of the lining over the top..I sure as hell couldnt get my head around how to order that! so I just sort of used the piping as a facing like Gertie shows you how to here.

Next up the pattern matching. I didn't quite manage it like a pro but I'm getting there...


Now to get to those pesky fit issues.
I totally made a muslin of this dress bodice because I wanted to make sure it was all good before getting on with the real thing. I did it and all was fine with supposedly no alterations needed. However, once I finished the dress and tried it on it just didn't sit right across the chest. It sort of pulled across the top and down into each arm hole. Were the darts wrong? No it didnt seem so, was the piping pulling at the arm holes in some way? I took off the piping and it wasnt any different so I sewed that all back on. So I brought it into work and had a pinning and pegging session with my sewing buddy and it seems that the only thing which made it better was to shorten the straps by about 2 inches. I'm not too sure if this was the right thing to do but I went home and took the piping off, cut the shoulders down and cut out an inch under each arm to compensate for it being higher and sewed it all back together again. It does now sit better, although the neckline is now much higher than intended. It doesnt fit great but much better and I'm really not sure what else it could be, maybe it's just not the right pattern for my body shape?
Any ideas??

Whatever, I now have a cute swimming ladies dress...Yey! and I think it will probably only be me that notices the misfitting of it on me so hey ho.
I don't think I'll be going for another Lilou unless I find the motivation to sit and have a good look at what the problem may be, but I can't wait to have a go at the Margot PJs and the Megan dress :)


1 comment:

  1. Oh I LOVE this. The fabric is perfect and the piping looks so good!

    ReplyDelete