Tuesday, 30 September 2014

The Frankendress.....

Before I say anything about this dress please look at this photo...


This cute little Scottish Fold is called Loki and we had the pleasure of looking after him for the past week he is soooooo sweet it hurts to leave him so I took a few bits round to do each evening so I could stay longer and I got started cutting this dress...oh yeah the dress!

So I've been hankering after a good stripy dress for a while. Something nice and bold, to go with leggings or tights and with some longer sleeves than my usual cap sleeve dresses. 
I've been pinning a few over on my Pinterest boards, this is one of my favs...




I got hold of a great piece of stretch cotton when I was last in Liverpool and had a bit of a haul in Abakhan.


Unfortunately, on closer inspection the stretch actually went length wise on the stripes. I decided to use it anyway and just treat it like a normal woven.


So this is reason I'm calling this my frankendress. I used all 3 of these patterns....

I used the 1873 before for this bow print dress. I really like the high round neck line.
I love the Belladone skirt mainly for the pockets, but I think it works well for stripes as it's relatively flat and straight (if that makes sense?) I cut a shorter version than usual as I'm not planning on wearing this with bare legs and thought a full skirt would look a bit much with these big stripes. I also adjusted the front pleats into three mini ones so more like gathers each side so it didn't distort the stripes too much.

Finally I went for the sleeves from the Grainline scout top and used my extended pattern piece that I used on this top.
I went for a new skill on this dress too. Look! Exposed zip! (Although terrible photo)


I used this tutorial.

So yeah, the Frankendress!


This dress didn't last long on this day. It turned freakishly hot so went home and swapped it for bikini and then back to the beach, I can't risk missing these last days of summer! but I doubt it'll be too long before I can start wearing this, I'm thinking it'll be a good autumn/winter staple and go well with coloured cardi's.

Has anyone else made a start on their autmn winter wardrobe?


3 comments:

  1. Great make! I love those stripes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so great - I love mixing parts of patterns! :)

    ReplyDelete