Wednesday, 22 October 2014

Funki Fabrics: Intergalactic....

So this post contains a bit of a different make to usual as I was approached by Funki Fabrics who asked if I'd like to try out some of their fabric for a new make, after having a look through their HUGE selection of prints I couldnt say no!

 I didn't really know what I'd end up making but I went ahead and asked for a nice big selection of samples. It was quite difficult to narrow down my choices but I got there in the end and went for a batch including these....


The samples gave me a much better idea of colour and scale of print and, having not really worked with anything like it, it was great to get a better idea of the feel of their Flexcite stretch fabric. This fabric is obviously perfect for sports and swim wear, it has an amazing multi way stretch and the print colours are so deep and vibrant, you can give it a really good stretch and it takes quite a bit for even a hint of white to come through.

Seeing as I don't really use this type of fabric I thought I'd go outside of my box for the print choice too and decided to forgo the spots (GASP!) for the AMAZEBALLS galactic print.....


This print is just gorgeous, so vivid. However I did think that I probably couldn't get away with a dress in this fabric so I had a change of tack and decided I could probably do with some new yoga clobber. So for my pattern choice I went for the Matilda leggings by Sewloft. (Go get it, it's free!)

I was a little scared to sew with this fabric at first but oh wow, it sews up so easily, it's stable enough to go through the machine really smoothly with no horrible tension issues or machine eating tantrums. This pattern came together in no time...


I used a zigzag stitch throughout...




Having never made anything like this before I'm really pleased with how they turned out...


Pretty pink legs!

This fabric peice came up pretty big too so I've got enough of this print left to either sew up another pair of these or I might hold onto it and attempt a bikini at some point.

If, like me, you find it hard to narrow down your print choices I've also learned that Funki Fabrics also now produce a whole sample sheet including loads of designs so you can get a better idea of what prints you're after in the flesh rather than on screen, available at the moment is their autumn collection. You can read more about it here.

Along with this print I also picked up some plain black cotton elastane and some amazingly pink stretch lace. I'll get round to these makes soon!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I am tempted by this pattern, I have never tried sewing with stretch, but some leggings would be cool.

    ReplyDelete