Friday, 17 October 2014

Me Made Wedding Dress.....the end....

So on the 27th September I was mainly wearing.....



a ME MADE WEDDING DRESS !



and it fitted perfectly and didn't fall apart or anything!

To say I am pleased with this make of mine is a slight understatement. I feel so proud to say that I gave it a go and actually succeeded. It may not be the most intricate of wedding dresses but it is totally my style and I couldn't love it more. It felt so rewarding to have people pay so many compliments on the day and to see their faces when you say that you actually made it yourself. The majority of our wedding day was diy and that made it so personal and rewarding, all of the hard work is completely worth it.
(I prattled on about the dress making process here and here)


Would I do it again?
YES; but I obvs hope it's something I never have to do again!
Would I do it for someone else?
NO; I've learned what a personal piece your wedding dress really is, I'm not sure I could take the pressure of having the fate of someones dream dress in my hands!
Would I recommend you do it?
YES; at least give it a go, it seems like a daunting idea but once you get down to it, it's just a dress! It's a bit more fancy and your fabric might be a bit more expensive but theres so much help and advice out there from other sewers and bloggers on the internet you'll always find tips and advice and if you give yourself enough time you're going to be fine.


16 comments:

  1. Wow it's absolutely magnificent and you look beautiful! What a fantastic job did you make the petticoat too? I with I had made my wedding dress. Feel sad that I missed that opportunity. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Zoe! No I didn't go quite that far, it's a beauty from Vivienne of Holloway :)
      You could always renew your vows??! x

      Delete
  2. It looks even more amazing than I'd thought it would - well done and congratulations, Zoe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely gorgeous! It looks like a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, both on your wedding and making the dress! You look beautiful and the dress is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! Your dress is absolutely beautiful, andcit looks like you had a fantastic day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow wow wow! Firstly I don't know HOW I missed this when you published it. Funnily I think because I've got my head so much in making my wedding dress I've been a bit behind on blog reading! Anyhow, better late than never... Congratulations! You two look so happy on your wedding day. And your dress looks so, so wonderful. Beautiful. Such a great job, you must be really proud of it!! Did you have any boning in the bodice? Also do you mind me asking what order you sewed the bodice layers in? (at which point did you sew the lining in?) Sorry for the very long comment! Hope you're enjoying married life :) ! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank so much Ree! Definitely my proudest make to date, I think it'll take some beating too. Theres no boning at all, I self lined the silk sweetheart part of the bodice, so the outside was basically the same as the inside, and then added the lace over the top and included it in the side seams then just added a few hand stitches here and there along the top of the sweetheart to attach the lace in the 'busiest' parts so you couldn't see the stitching. Hope that makes sense?!
      When's your dress got to be ready for? Do you think you'll blog it? I love stalking, sorry I mean SEEING, everyones me made wedding dresses :) x

      Delete
    2. Hi Zoe! Had to move back to blogger as 140 characters runs out too quickly!! Thank you for the info on how you attached the layers of the bodice together. It absolutely makes sense! I have toyed with a few different ways to do it so good to know what worked for you! Another question (sorry)... did you find you needed any darts in the lace? I'm EXACTLY the same - love to stalk other people's wedding dresses, especially if they made them. I will definitely blog mine after the Big Day. We're getting married in June so I've got a while yet but I want to finish it with at least a month to spare to avoid any panic! Thank you for sharing your dress and being inspiring! :) xxx

      Delete
    3. I omitted the darts in the lace as it made it all a bit too bulky-I suppose it would have been a bit like underlining. I taped up the darts on the body pattern piece then cut the lace without them-you have a to be a bit creative as the pattern piece probably wont lay flat . The lace I used had a bit of give to it so I knew that it would fit nicely across the top of the other bodice pieces once they were on. I think the lace looks much nice with no darts so it;s once continuous pattern across the top of the silk underneath.
      It's a good time to get started, I finished mine with about 5/6 months to go but it felt so nice knowing that it was all finished. I just kept having to take a peek in the bag to give myself a reminder of the details (and check it hadn't all fallen apart!) xx

      Delete
  7. Wow Zoe this looks amazing! I'm planning on making my own dress for next summer and it's so nice to read posts by other bloggers who have braved the world of wedding dress making. You look stunning! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lara! I found it so helpful to see other peoples blog posts about the whole process and found it really spurred me on to make my own, there's some really useful tips out there. Oooh now I can't wait to see your posts next year! Good luck x

      Delete