Wednesday, 15 October 2014

Me Made Wedding Dress.....the middle....

So I've rattled on about where the ideas came from and how I got started, this post is about actually getting on with it.....

So what was in that fabric bag? I ended up choosing some beautifully drapey and super soft double silk crepe in ivory. Not only does this feel amazing against your skin but it hangs so well and I knew it would be the perfect weight for the skirt. After much deliberation I also chose some beautiful french corded lace.....


I came across the silk quite early on in the day and nothing else quite measured up. The lace choice took a little longer as I was shown more and more options...


I knew I wanted something a little more irregular than a repeated print that would make it difficult to cut into, and I didn't want something that clearly had roses or paisley, I also didn't want to have to buy too much to make sure I could pattern match (this stuff aint cheap) So I went with this pretty...


I really didn't think I'd ever choose fabrics that looked so 'weddingy' but when I got to really think about it this is a dress for an event you're (hopefully) never going to repeat which makes it way special and very different to any other dress you'd wear. I'd thought I might go for a bold colour or a fancy print but when it came down to it I really did want this dress to be different from anything I've made or will make again and I actually got into the whole wedding vibe and surprised myself by actually quite liking the idea of having a 'wedding' dress. Who knew?!

Making my dress in a one bedroom flat and managing to keep it a secret from the Mr was always going to be too much of a challenge, not to mention keeping it all away from our black catface whose fur ends up EVERYWHERE, so I booked a weekend to go down to my mum and dads in Somerset which turned out to be perfect.


I had a whole room to spread out in with no distractions, it was my little sewing studio for the weekend. 


I made a thorough plan of everything that needed doing and split it over the weekend so I knew exactly where I was at. I found this so helpful to keep up with where I was at, especially after tea and biscuit breaks :) I was conscious not to cram too much into each day and to finish up at a decent time rather than keep sewing into the night, I had no room to make silly tired mistakes.


Cutting into that expensive fabric was pretty scary stuff, I used the old mantra 'measure twice, cut once', but maybe more like 'measure 5 times'.....



I'm so pleased with all of the effort I put into this dress, I had to make friends with that old enemy hand sewing but it was so worth it.




I managed to get pretty much the whole dress finished within the weekend. It still needed hemming but it needed a good amount of time to hang before I could be sure I was cutting a straight hem!

It felt pretty strange bringing home a dress I wasnt allowed to wear for another 6 months...


I did have the odd peek, mainly to check it hadn't fallen apart or, on the more panicky days, to check it hadn't disintegrated or been eaten by a hoard of moths, thankfully neither of which actually happened and I did get to wear the spoils......I've got those photos now so hey'll be up in my next post!

1 comment: