Thursday, 11 December 2014

Blogmas day 11: Colette Hawthorne....

I'm not sure why but making this dress is taking me ages. I made a toile for the bodice and cut out all of my pieces at least 3-4 weeks ago and I'm only just on the sleeves now. 

It's not that I've fallen out of love with the pattern, I can't wait to have made my first shirt dress, and it's not that I no longer like the fabric, it'll be so perfect for work. I just haven't had that 'can't stop till I'm finished' feeling about any of it. Maybe I'm running out of sewing steam for this year and just need a few weeks off, or I'm wondering if my subconscious is saying 'there's no way you can make this, there's way too many button holes for you to screw up!' 

I must admit I am a little terrified to get to that button hole bit. The last time I made button holes they weren't quite big enough for the buttons to slide in and out of easily enough, I have no idea where I went wrong on the measuring bit?, so I just sewed the opening shut and hand stitched the buttons on top, it looked alright and I could still get my head through the gap so WINNING.



So I have a bodice, with collar, and skirt so far. I'm a little annoyed at myself for forgetting to add some pockets and I don't want to open up my french seams. I might add on some patch pockets? 


I must say that so far I'm really loving all of the bits I thought I'd find difficult. I glanced at the instruction page for the arm plackets and cuffs and thought WHHAAAATT?? 


But once I got going on the plackets they were actually pretty easy going. Maybe that'll happen when I eventually get around to the button holes? 



I've got to get this finished within the next week or so for my own sanity. I really hate giving up on projects half way through. Any top tips for measuring and making button holes easier greatly appreciated!


4 comments:

  1. It's so gorgeous!! I bet the buttonholes won't be as horrific as you think. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm still gearing up, will update at the weekend :)

      Delete
  2. Goodness me, this is lovely! The fabric is gorgeous, and whats not to love about the collar! Re the buttonholes - you've made sleeves with plackets, those buttonholes will be a breeze. If I'm doing buttonholes, I use the automatic buttonhole on my machine. But sometimes it plays up, so I do them with a zig zag stitch. Google making buttonholes, and practice on sone scrap fabric. And if all else fails, just us pop fasteners. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynne, I'll do a few practice runs, oooh poppers....now theres an idea :)

      Delete