Saturday, 20 December 2014

Blogmas Day 20: Colette Hawthorne with Buttons!....


I finished my Hawthorne! 
It has buttons! 
That fit through fully working button holes!


After this blog post I took the comments and tweets, pushed my fear of button holes to the back of my mind and got on with it. 

I did as Lynne recommended and ran a couple of practice holes through the machine which didn't go too badly, so I soldiered on and started with the sleeve plackets. 


I knew I wouldn't really be opening and closing these so I thought if they went wrong I could just sew them shut with the button on top but they worked! 


I used pins to stop me running right through the fabric at either end with the seam ripper and once it was open I did run another set of zig zags up and down each side of the hole to strengthen it. I was happy with these so I powered straight on with the rest of the dress....


I adjusted the placement a bit so it didn't gape at the waist at all and widened them out on the skirt. The biggest shocker to me was that the button fitted through each of them, I got the measurement right...phew. 

I'm so glad I've finished this dress, and faced my fear of button holes...haha. But that means Im going to have to get one with making those holes my best friends now as I promised I'd move onto making a mens shirt while I have time off over christmas....uh oh.


Now I've got button holes started I quite like this pattern and think I'll give the sleeveless version a go, I've seem some really nice chambray versions and I think that would be a really easy wear for summer. 




6 comments:

  1. Hooray! I'm so glad you finished this, it looks great! I hate button holes but they're a necessary evil sometimes! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They're little buggers but worth it!

      Delete
  2. It's lovely! Great fabric too. I'm tempted to make a hawthorn myself. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caroline! You should go for it!

      Delete
  3. Your Hawthorn is gorgeous! Yey to sorting out the buttonholes, and I love the fabric and also the long, cuffed sleeves. I also have plans for chambray Hawthorns for the summer, but I want to make a winter one first. Also, I love your nail polish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynne! It's Barry M ;) xx

      Delete