Wednesday, 3 December 2014

Blogmas Day 3: A Pair of Plantains....

I managed to squeeze in a couple of makes last weekend. 
My wardrobe is lacking in basic tops, especially with long cosy sleeves. I picked up some lovely stretch fabrics when I was last at Goldhawk Road and decided to use this freebie pattern from Deer and Doe. I've tried this pattern out before and really love the shape, the way it flares out at the waist is really flattering and it has a lovely scoop neck.


I'd been a bit put off sewing with knits as the last couple of times I tried I found it really hard to get through my machine. I thought the foot presser was squishing it too much so the seams were all stretching out of shape and I had a few arguments with my twin needle but I've left it enough time to get over the anger and give it another go. I'm glad I did as it all went to plan this time. There's something so pleasing about sewing with stripes too..


I think my presser foot was just a bit stiff as the machine was pretty new last time and I made friends with my twin needle...well the second twin needle. I managed to put the first needle in and forget to switch from zigzag to straight stitch so I manage to snap that one good and proper......anyways look twin needle usage!....



Now I know sewing with knits isn't as traumatic as I first thought on my new (ish) machine I'll be getting back into it. I can always do with another Dixie ballet dress, so comfy for Christmas lunches :)


4 comments:

  1. These look great! You can never get enough plantains!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather, such a useful pattern to have!

      Delete
  2. I've got a stripey one on my list, yours look great. It's the best basic tee pattern I've found, the three I've made are in heavy rotation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen, its just such a nice shape, I love that it doesn't cling around your tummy, so much more comfortable to wear with jeans.

      Delete