Oh hello blog, sorry I've neglected you, I lost my mojo but now I've made a few lovely things I think I've found it again, so let's begin....
This is my second Sew Over It 1940s Tea Dress. My first was this navy polka dot version and I love wearing it so much!
I picked up some cotton sateen during my last trip to Goldhawk Road. I love the feel of this fabric, the slight stretch and thickness of the fabric is just perfect to sew and wear.
I meant this dress as a 'cake' piece (my favourite and most over used link up) and intended to have it all plain black but look what happened....
I found a bit of left over gingham in my stash and then gave fabric covered buttons a go...oh dear I'm hooked on those now. What else can I attach buttons to??!!
I didn't have enough fabric to add the sleeve cuffs in my last version but I actually quite like them. I couldn't figure out the instructions in the booklet AT ALL but luckily there is a great sewalong on the SOI website and with those extra instructions I figured it out. It's actually really simple but I just got all back to front and inside out confused.
Seeing as I matched my buttons to my cuffs I also hunted down some gingham bias binding for the hem too. Thank you Brighton Sewing Centre for answering my desperate tweet!
The rest of the insides are french seemed so it's all lovely and neat inside.
I also used the binding to finish the facing edge and the back seam.
I'm really pleased with the overall finish of this dress and love that it is all matchy matchy.
I'm entering this into February's #SOIshowoff too.