Saturday, 4 July 2015

A 1940s Betsy......

Hiya! I hope you've all been out enjoying this glorious summer day, I've been sunning myself whilst watching a load of people, including my Mr, swim around the West Pier. I was going to join in but left my swimming cap at home.....ahem......anyways.....

I've been sewing up summer dresses like a machine these past few weeks. I seem to get so much more joy out of summer dresses than winter ones, probably down to all of the more pretty floral fabrics you get to wear which are more sunshine appropriate. 
This one is another Sew Over It 1940s Tea Dress. I've made two of these already, here and here, actually these are both wintery versions, but this is definitely for the sunshine....


The fabric is Liberty Betsy poplin and I picked it up from Kats Fabrics on ebay. There was 2.8 meters and actually enough for two dresses, so my mum has a 2444 in it now too :)
This poplin is so great to work with, easy to cut and so easy to sew. I used french seams on all of the straight edges and pinked the curved bust seams, I also lined the bodice with some pink cotton batiste.


I lowered the neckline ever so slightly, shortened the sleeves and added a few inches to the skirt so it's no tights appropriate.


I love the skirt shape, I find it really flattering and perfect for my blustery day fear.


I feel like I need a cute little garden party to go to in this, or a wedding, can some people get married and invite me along please?!







10 comments:

  1. This is so lovely Zoe! Just the ticket for these sweltering hot days! PS just back from Dubrovnik, we adored our time there and we found the ice cream shop you told me about! I had an apple pie ice cream and it was indeed delicious! Thanks for the tip off xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Ree, so glad you enjoyed Dubrovnik (apple pie ice cream?! Mmmmmm) can't wait to see your wedding pics! Congratulations!!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful! I really want to make that pattern up myself, however I promised myself I'd get through my pile of 'to do' projects before I buy another......we shall see how long that lasts! You've done such an awesome job on this dress, it looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alecia, the to do list just keeps getting longer doesn't it?! So difficult when you keep seeing what everyone else is making.

      Delete
  3. Absolutely stunning Zoe- I'm going to look up the pattern now! :-) X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely stunning Zoe- I'm going to look up the pattern now! :-) X

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful! I love your fabric. I have this pattern, and really should have a look at it soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynne, yes do it's a bit different but a winner in my book :)

      Delete
  6. I have this pattern too and really ought to do something about it! Beautiful dress Zoe, love all the 1940's details and it looks especially lovely in that Liberty print. x

    ReplyDelete