Monday, 8 February 2016

New Negroni.....

It's another Colette Negroni for Mr M. This time in a wool blend, I'm not 100% sure what blend that is exactly as I picked this fabric up out of a bag of freebies at work. It's not too thick and not flannel like, frays like a mf but pressed ok, it didn't give the most joyous sewing experience but hey, we all love a challenge!  


I used my adjusted pattern pieces to add a new collar and collar stand just like last time, but I didn't add the Italian darts to the back of this one, Mr was after a more relaxed fit, which I think works well with this fabric choice. 

I messed up attaching the front placket....a lot. I started off by making two left sides....


Good one. This would have been fine if I hadn't stormed ahead attaching the button plackets.....

The perils of working with a fabric that is the same on both sides.

Luckily I had more than enough fabric to cut out a new front piece but then I just went ahead and attached both plackets without actually reading through the instructions. The left side should have been attached right sides together so that you can fold the placket to the outside like this...


Actually that's a bit hard to see but hopefully you get what I mean.
So yeah, I didn't do that but it's not the end of the world, shirts do come without that bit so for this shirt it's one of the 'design features' ....


I managed the whole attaching the back yoke part pretty well this time, the 'burrito' instructions make much more sense once you've done it a few times!



 I went in hard with the spray starch to get a good press for the flat felled seams and they worked a treat. Same goes here for the cuff plackets too....although with all of the fraying these were so FIDDLY! There's a few little frayed edges peeking out here, I need to go in with some cover stitching and fray check just to keep them in line.


The last mistake was starting to put the button holes in the wrong way round, luckily I hadn't made the actual holes yet, just stitched them, so I could rip out the stitches and start again.


I didn't get on with my new found button sewing attachments at all and ended up adding all of the button by hand instead. Every time I tried I just ended up with a big old mess of thread on the underside, any tips on how to thread buttons by machine??

I think it's safe to say that I was happy to see the end of this project. I'm not sure why I found this so tedious and difficult but I won't be making another in the very near future and when I finally get around to more I'll make sure it's with a fabric that clearly has a right side and has absolutely no chance of major fraying!

All that being said I'm pleased with the outcome as is the recipient...which is always the point :)








6 comments:

  1. Well he is lucky you kept going. Fraying is so annoying. But the finished shirt is great, lucky fella.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't he just!

      It's put me right off working with anything like this sort of material again, it's just not work the rage!

      Delete
  2. Well done for persevering! It was definitely worth the effort, it looks great! I love the colours and actually prefer your "design feature" pocket to the placket version.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you did a fantastic job! I love the colors of this fabric. The shirt looks amazing on him.

    ReplyDelete