Thursday, 3 March 2016

2016 Destash #3......


It's taken ages to photograph this one, but I made this a couple of weeks ago. My third piece of stash fabric getting all used up. 
This was 2 meters of black and white giant gingham cotton, quilting weight so quite stiff but still nice and soft, super easy to sew with.
My inspiration was this dress from Laura Ashley and also this one from Hobbs.Initilaly I was going to wait until it warmed up a bit as I had envisioned this as a summer dress but actually what with the cotton being quite thick, and also me being impatient, I went ahead and got on with it. I used the Anna bodice and predictably the Belladone skirt. I really must leave that skirt alone for a while now, I've used it so many times! 

 

I'm pleased with the end result. I think the bold checks work well on the simple bodice. It was really hard to get them to make any sense at the waistline. The darts don't match the skirt, the bodice cuts the squares off half way and they don't match up at all, so rather than stressing over it I decided to make up a waist tie with some left over fabric to match the look of the Hobbs version. I really like it in place of a belt. 

 The stiffness of the cotton works well with the skirt shape. It holds the A line well, although it does crease quite a bit but swings and roundabouts hey?


The only vaguely good pic I have of the back is this swishy one, look at me go! This is what happens when you take photos early in the morning before rushing out of the door. I become giddy with self consciousness and end up pulling faces and twirling all around the place. 


I haven't made an Anna for a while now, I really do love that bodice and cute little kimono sleeves. 
I've worn this a couple of times already. I managed a really good fit on the bodice. I made the alterations to the pattern pieces a while back and it was so worth the effort, no gapey necklines here :)


Actually looking at this photo those lines of check actually match up ok moving down the dress so maybe I didn't fair too bad there after all?




8 comments:

  1. This is brilliant! I love the Anna/Belladone combo, and I think the checks look great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice plaid dress! it is always good to use your stash fabric and this was a good choice for that plaid fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this, mega gingham and mini gingham together ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! This makes me think I must revisit the Anna dress and make it in my size this time rather than the wishful thinking size!

    ReplyDelete