Wednesday, 17 August 2016

Maternity Makes #1....The skirt.....

I've had to give up squeezing into my every day clothes and admit I have trouble breathing in most of my dresses now. I've had to put a large chunk of my wardrobe away and get on with making a few bits to see me through the next few months. The belly is real. 

After having a bit of a stress out over what I was going to be able to make to wear I've actually settled on a few things that I feel happy about and this is the first....



I made up a Megan Nielsen maternity T at the same time, I'll come back to that one in a later post.

I've wanted to get a wearing a few more skirts for a while. In the past I've knocked up a couple of fully elastic waisted numbers. I found them fine at when I first started to sew up my own clothes but as I progressed and started to sew garments with more shape and gain more experience they just felt a bit basic. Maybe it was the stiff cotton I was using, but the overall shape wasn't great and they did have a whiff of toddler wear about them. Well anyway this version is much better in my book. I read Jenny's post for this simple tutorial and knew it would be a perfect addition to the maternity wardrobe. 
I used some bird print viscose from my stash, I think left overs from this dress which was AGES ago! anyway, nice to know it's finally all used up :)


Anyways, this skirt was, as you'd expect, a real easy make. Rectanlges and a bit of elastic and gathering and you're done. Jenny's instructions are nice and clear. I really like the look of the skirt with the elastic just at the back. I made this up with measurements slightly larger than I am at the mo in the hope that this lasts a good couple of months as I expand in the waist department.


I've been wearing it with a belt but it's cute without too (probably would have benefited from a press though...)


I'm happy with my choice of length. I didn't really do anything about adding extra length to the front panel, I don't think it needs any extra length, maybe if I make another?


I'm calling this a maternity success, I've work it quite a few times already and it's still a little big so has a way to go yet. Maybe I'll get around to one more for autumn?

Thank you to everyone who left useful comments on my last post for what patterns to look at for maternity wear, you very helpful lovely people!




No comments:

Post a Comment