Monday, 12 September 2016

#Ginghamalong.....


Of course, I made this a few weeks ago but have left it to the last minute to actually talk about it and just get it entered into Karen's #Ginghamalong, but here we go.....

I got very excited when I saw Karen's Instagram announcing this wonderful idea. It's no shock that I love a bit of gingham, there's more than a few items on my blog, and I always seem to have some in my stash in various colours, so I knew I'd be taking part in this sewing fun and knew exactly which piece of stash to use. Come on down gorgeous blue and white check double duvet!


It's also old news that I love a duvet dress. The fabric of this one is particularly soft and I love the shade of blue, it's very Wizard of Oz but thought I'd try to steer clear of going full on Dorothy... 

Instead I wanted to recreate one of my favourite shop bought dresses, this pretty from H&M about 3? years ago....


I'm off on holiday soon and in need of a new dress to accommodate the growing baby bump I now have. This dress fits well, the empire line is perfect, but it's just a smidge short and also has been worn so much that up close it's a little bobbled, I'm sure I'll be wearing this until it literally falls apart though.


The bodice has bust darts, an empire tie waist and the back has a cute keyhole detail. However this cute little detail has left me a with a little circle of burnt skin on numerous sunny days so I'll be leaving it out of my new dress pattern :)


I decided to take advantage of the silent studios at work over the summer and cut this out on my lunch break. It was so nice to use a high table! It's the little things hey?


I decided to be super lazy and draw off the dress bodice straight onto the fabric. I added a 5/8 SA around the edges and actually decided to leave out the bust darts. As the drawstring pulls in the waist I didn't think it needed to be too perfect around that area.


You can just about see my pencil marks below...


I cut 2 of each back and front bodice (1 for lining) a long waist tie and rectangles for a simple gathered skirt.


I actually decided to use bias binding out of my stash for the neck and arm holes instead of lining the bodice and added button holes to the front bodice for the waist ties to go though. The channel for the ties was just the SA where the skirt was attached to the bodice, folded up and stitched down from the outside.



And here it is, my entry to the #Ginghamalong...


I think I'll add this to my list of successful maternity makes too. I really enjoy copy cat-ing shop bought clothing, especially with pieces that are so simple. It's great to be able to take your favourite elements and make your ideal clothing, I love this maybe more than the original just because of the little bit of extra length in the skirt.


'Scuse the off lighting in all of these pics, it was the end of a sunny day and the clouds/intermittent sunshine wouldn't cooperate but you get the idea...



Can I pack for holiday now?!







8 comments: