Thursday, 8 September 2016

Maternity Makes #2....The TShirt....

I made this up earlier last month along with my Cashmerette skirt but it's only now that it's really starting to fit and I can show how it's meant to look rather than the saggy fronted garment it looked back then.
I treated myself to an actual maternity pattern and picked up this Megan Nielsen Cara Tshirt


I did want to try and get through the next few months making a few pieces where I just adjust the patterns I already had in my stash but it turns out I actually am in need of clothes that fit properly so I caved and thought I'd go for something designed to actually fit a growing bump. It bothers me that I might have clothing that is no use to me soon but I read a blog post where someone has just unpicked the side seams of their Cara Tshirts and sewed them back up without the ruching....SOLD!

These lovely stripes are a cotton jersey from Girl Charlee uk. I love the brightness of the blue. the fabric was a little thinner than I anticipated, but it's super soft. It rolled a bit when cut and the sleeve hems have puckered but I think that's more to do with my dodgy twin needle skills. I'm going to stick with super neat zig zags for a while, or maybe I should actually sit down and get that twin needle doing as it should......


As you could guess this is a really simple pattern. Easy to fit well (once the bump has grown into the extra space) and sews up quickly. I left the hem raw, I'm not sure if I mind that or not. I've been doing it more lately with stretch fabric, and especially as this has a curved hem I couldn't be bothered to try and hem it. 
Just in case you didn't spot it, I've highlighted my massive DURRR moment below. I was trimming down the inside seams and managed to slice straight through the fabric *CRY*


I didn't really think too long about how to fix it and just overlapped the fabric slightly and zig zagged over it. I figured it's where my arm will be or I'll wear a cardigan, or even if it is on show, I can't actually see it so it won't bother me. Is there a bit more of a subtle way I could have dealt with that?


I'll try to get a couple more of these sewn up for autumn. It's still steaming hot at the mo but I'm sure October/November will call for me wearing a few more layers.



No comments:

Post a Comment