Monday, 21 May 2018

May: Peony skirt....

2018 Make 5


Need: Simple skirt to go with a number of me made tops!

Pattern: Colette Peony

I've been pretty keen on having a denim skirt for spring/summer-something to go with a lot of tops I usually only wear with jeans. Something simple, none fussy. I don't have too many skirt patterns but plenty of dresses; I chose one of the most simple, the Colette Peony. I love the shape-although not too keen on the inseam pockets for this version so I adapted the By Hand London tutorial for side slant pockets. These are meant for the Anna but can I would have thought they be applied to pretty much any skirt pattern.



I was originally thinking of a nice bit of chambray but after a quick check in the diminished stash I found a piece of this denim left over from this dress. A little over a meter, definitely enough for a skirt, so being low on spends I thought I might as well use this up. It's quite structured so takes the A line of the Peony well. 


Notions: Exposed zip and bias bound seams

I bound all of the inside seams. I love how this looks-so tidy. I adapted a waist band from another dress pattern and used an exposed zip. I didn't do this very well-a few wonky measurements but I botched it in ok in the end....well it opens and closes so that'll do.




Thoughts: I think this turned out ok in the end. It took a bit of adjusting on the way-I stitched down the front pleats as the front wouldn't lay flat, added some top stitching to the pocket slants so they didn't pull and the zip was a bit of a botch but I've worn this a few times already so it's not all bad. It's a nice basic which I'm sure will get some good wear and it felt good to use up some more stash.




No comments:

Post a Comment