Saturday, 31 January 2015

Anna hack for Polka Dot January.....

I've just managed to squeeze this in and get it blogged before January is gone....already?!
This is my make for the sewcialists Polka Dot January theme


The fabric is a lovely drapey viscose from Regency Rags, (who also have an ebay shop and I'm now a little bit obsessed and spend most days trying to now press the buy it now button) This lovely spotty stuff is only £2.99 a meter, bargain!

I went for making myself a new By Hand London Anna. I haven't made up a new one since I made some alterations to the bodice piece last year and took out a good 2 inches form the neckline as I found it gapped too much in my first version, although I still wear it I knew it was something I wanted to have a go at altering. I used these tips by Sew me love and it's come out perfect. I adjusted both the straight and v neck versions in the same way...



It now fits so much better...



The big change to this Anna was the addition of side pockets, which I love. It was just the day before I started to cut this out that BHL put up a pattern hack tutorial on their blog, perfect timing! 
It's really simple and you should give it a go! I added some bias binding to the pocket opening just to make it a bit stronger. The fabric is soft and feels like it could get easily misshapen so I thought I'd give it a bit of strength in that area just in case it started to bag. 
I can see me adding these to any new Anna's in the future, what with pockets in dresses being the holy grail and all....I really love the skirt shape too.


I took about 5 inches off the skirt length as that midi just does nothing for me. Other than that construction was straight forward and I self lined the bodice to give it a bit more erm body (?) I think I've decided against using facings on all of my dresses now, I hate how it means you have to iron everything after you've washed it as they inevitably get a bit scrunched and end up sticking out (I don't iron anything if I can get away with it) using a lining gives such a cleaner finish and I don't feel that it takes that much longer to sew either.
Now I've adjusted the neck I'm loving the Anna again, next I'm going to give the v neck a go.


Now I'm off to see all of the other polka dot january posts, did you join in?



Thursday, 1 January 2015

2015 Resewlutions.....

Happy New Year Everyone!!

I pretty much stuck to last years resewlutions, especially taking amore time over makes, getting better at hand sewing, and having enough garments for Me Made May. I've had a good think and these are my thoughts for 2015...



  • More sewing for others. I've gained a bulging me made wardrobe over the past couple of years so I think it might be time to start getting my sewing fix with a few garments for other people. My biggest challenge with probably be trying to complete a decent mens shirt. I'll be trying out the Colette Negroni for starters.

  • And when I'm not sewing for others (well I'll need some dresses at some point I'm sure!) I want to try and work my way through some of the pattern variations I haven't tried out yet. I have a lot of patterns in my stash and many of those have 2 or 3 different versions of that pattern in the pack, instead of buying new patterns I want to try and give these a go.

  • Me Made May. I'll up the ante again on this years challenge, I think if I have just a few more outfits ready by May I'll make this years through without any repeats.