Wednesday, 25 July 2018

Sewing for the small: THE bucket hat....


Ok, I know I've posted about this pattern before but I made Teddy a new little hat and it's too cute not to mention. 
It's of course another Oliver & S bucket hat. If you need a little person hat this is the pattern to use. It's super easy and is perfect for using up tiny fabric scraps 
(oh and its another free download!)




Friday, 20 July 2018

July: Simple summer skirts......

2018 Make 7


Need: An easy make to use up some stash. Something to wear to work and play to go with a huge pile of coloured vest tops!

Pattern: Self drafted elastic waist skirt. I barely even used any measurements for these two -apart from the elastic casing waist band.


Fabric: Two lots of viscose from the stash, one seaside print left over from this dress (now gone to recycling) Both good weight and quality, super delightful to sew with and lovely and breezy to wear.

Notions: 3/4 inch elastic, matching thread.


Thoughts: Oh these were very satisfying to sew up. I kept the width of each piece of fabric, so I'm not even sure what it was, I just knew it was bigger than my waist measurement so fine for a gathered skirt. I used french seams-always a good idea when using viscose as it frays so much. I did measure up the waistband for the elastic casing. Each of these took around an hour and it felt so nice to go rogue, not use any form of pattern or directions and actually get something you like and can wear out of it, I mustn't let that go to my head though......"No ZoĆ«, you cannot make a freehand dress that wont look like a sack".......



Thursday, 19 July 2018

Sewing for the small: Sunshine shorts....


I managed to move myself away from the plethora of the cuff pants (there's been more as I'm sure you can imagine) as I found this very cute pattern for some little cotton shorts. 

By Oliver & S, these are their Sunny Day Shorts which are free to download and are available from 6m all the way up to 12 years (clearly I'll be stringing this pattern out for  literally YEARS to come)


As everyone in the UK will be well aware of it's been blimin' boiling for weeks, if not months, now and isn't really showing any signs of going away, YIPEE!!, so we're having a right old summer. Little Teddy was very much in need of some shorts, especially for nursery as all the water play see's him through at least two outfits a day. 

This pattern is great. I started off with the 12-18m which do fit fine but did look a tiny bit restrictive with all of his clambering around so I sized up to 18-24m....also then realised he is indeed 19 months old........I mean HOW?! anyways....

You know me, see pattern, try pattern, like pattern, make it a million times, so yeah, he already has four pairs with a few more cut out waiting for me to go buy some more elastic.

They really are great, I was tentative about using woven fabric for little clothes as I just want him to be as comfy as possible and not restricted in any way but the cut of these gives enough bum room for a nappy and he's had no trouble getting around in them. 

They are great for stash busting and I love how many great printsI can use-which is usually a cost issue with jersey fabric but cotton is so cheap, especially when it's off cuts you've been using...I'll really try not to twin too much with my dresses :)





Wednesday, 11 July 2018

June: Saltspring of sorts.....

2018 Make 6


Need: (After having a clear out*) A summer dress to throw on for the beach!

Pattern: Sewaholic Saltspring. Although after quite a bit of tweaking over the years, my version is now quite different to the original. No back split, no zip, self lined bodice and modified shoulder straps.

 
This pattern was so easy to alter and it's made a much more wearable item for me. Very casual and comfy and very versatile. I got rid of 3 of these, they really needed to go, they were all tatty and suncream stained, but that also means top of the list for replacing.


Fabric: Very cheap viscose from Fabric Land. I love the pattern and wanted a quick fix....this was it. Easy to sew, I made sure to use french seams and a wide hem to make sure all frayable (not even a word) edges were well hidden. I also used some iron on interfacing in the shoulder straps to reinforce the seams as I poked them right side out with a chopstick! Worked a treat :)


Notions: 
Just the 3/4 inch elastic for the waistband


Thoughts: Already worn and already love. I probably would prefer the skirt to be about an inch longer, I forgot to add some extra when cutting out to accommodate the need for a slightly deeper hem. I'm sure there will be another of these before the summers out. 


*So documenting my MMMay challenge went out the window after just one post BUT I did complete it. i just couldn't find the will power to write about it. Trust me that plenty of dresses went into the recycling, a few are on the mending/altering pile and the others are now in rotation but it also means I have a few gaps where new ones are needed....what a shame :)
Next year I'm sticking to Instagram.